Monday, February 3, 2014

The Dam: Go There. Now

After much deliberation about what and where to eat the other night, my husband and I got into the car and drove over to the Tower Grove South neighborhood to the little hole in the wall burger place called The Dam on Morganford Rd.

It was late. We both had worked all day. We were tired, and we also were in need of groceries. The cupboard was bare. The conversation went something like this:

"What do you want to eat?"
"I don't know. What do you want to eat?"
"I just don't know!"
"What about Domino's pizza."
"Well, they've been delivering their pizzas cold lately."

"Yeah, that's true."
"What about Chipotle?"
"I don't want Chipotle."
"It's really cold and dark outside. I just wanna stay in."
"I know...but there's really nothing to eat here."

And so it went, on and on for about half an hour. I remembered reading in a local magazine about this restaurant called The Dam. They were getting great reviews, and they boasted antibiotic-free meats, and local, fresh ingredients. We both finally agreed to check them out. (See menu below)


http://thedamstl.com/dam-slow-food-fast-thedamstl-com/menus/

After making a U-turn and calling the restaurant to see what their cross street and nearby landmarks were, we found a side street to park and walked over to the little hole-in-the-wall "Dam." Quaint, and hip at the same time, The Dam gets you excited on the first walk through the door. A large chalkboard with menu items adorned the wall on one side, and on the other was a small bar shelf lining the wall with a few stools.  



My husband ordered a single burger with cheese, which he claimed was one of the best he'd eaten ("so fresh, and better than Five Guys.") and I ordered the vegetarian specialty burger that had coleslaw and curry mustard sauce on it. Can you say, "Yum"? Of course we didn't skip the side order of Belgian style fries, with a curry and jalapeno dipping sauce. Oh my, was it a treat! And we kept it all under $20, though I think we went over that a little at the end when I decided to buy one of their large and chewy chocolate chip cookies.

Yep, we'll be back. 

Do me a favor. If you're hungry, don't want to cook, desire good quality fresh food without preservatives, and you want to save a few bucks, head on over to the Dam. You won't be disappointed. Just do it.

No comments: